Thursday, January 19, 2006

DualCor cPC


A company called DualCor have just announced what may just be the most incredible phone I have ever seen.

The thing runs Windows XP AND Windows mobile 5, and can switch between the two at the tap of the finger (or stylus, if, unlike me you manage not to lose yours).

The processor runs at a healthy 1.5GHz, alongside a Gig of RAM, which puts it alongside any dedicated sub-notebook in its size class, AND a 40gb Hard-drive. That makes me want to scream already. Going back to the phone, (which runs on seperate hardware to the XP side), and we have 1Gb of NAND flash memory, a massive (for a phone) 800 X 400 pixel display (perfect for films), and a nifty nub-style inteface.

So what's the catch? Although it lasts an OK 8 hours in Pocket PC mode, and 3 Hours in XP mode, you don't really want a phone that's gonna run flat in under a day. For occasional users, this would just about be ok. But I don't think there are going to be many "occasional" users buying this phone.
The second problem is (possibly) the size. I'm used to carrying around an XDA II and a PSP. This phone is around the same size as a PSP - slightly bigger in fact - so I could cope. But I want a smaller phone anyway.
And the last point (not necessarily a problem) is the design. it's not pretty for one, and I can't help but think that a bigger nub and a mirrored layout would suit games a lot more. But that's just me.

If I had a car, I can imagine this being a replacement for a laptop, phone, PDA, and with a modification to the DIN slot, your car stereo. That would be awesome. And it would at least charge the damn thing.
Read more...

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

getting giddy over windows. i should eliminate you.

10:38 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home